Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Interior Castle


This year in my observance of Lent I’m reading The Interior Castle written by Teresa of Avila, a mother of the church, in the 16th Century.  It’s strangely blog-like, with numbered posts within chapter headings. Teresa was a Spanish mystic and poet who described the capacity of the soul as a castle made of diamond and containing many chambers. Through a spirit of unceasing prayer, she describes how progress can be made toward the center of our soul where The King of Glory dwells. As she describes moving through the different dwelling places in the soul, it reminds me of a dream I have where I suddenly realize that my house has rooms that I’ve never noticed before. I’m always so pleasantly surprised at the previously unnoticed potential of my home.  I’m hoping the same thing is true of my soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment